Sunday, October 3, 2010

Be Suspicious of Guys on Bicycles with Backpacks

If you see an unfamiliar person riding a bicycle carrying a backpack through your neighborhood, it's possible he is a burglar looking for some easy pickings. We've heard from law enforcement that a lot of ex-cons out on parole can't get a driver's license...so they end up on bicycles.

They look for unattended open garages where they can quickly steal some tools or other belongings - things that can fit in a backpack. It's not beyond them to break into a home. Electronics and other valuables can fit in a backpack too.

Our local police has instructed us to call them anytime we see someone suspicious, like an unfamiliar person riding a bicycle through our neighborhood and carrying a backpack. They'll come check it out.

Now don't call 9-1-1 unless it's an emergency. Memorize the non-emergency telephone number for your local law enforcement agency. Each person in our family has it programmed in our cell phones and on speed dial.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's an elitist attitude, to be suspicious of anyone, that is not driving a car. Suspicion of people walking is just as rampant as suspicion of cyclists and it totally pisses me off. I mean lets think about it for a second, a person driving a car can steal stuff and get away much faster than a person walking, or riding a bike. I think it's just the assumption that if a person is riding a bike, it's because they are too poor to own a car and if they are too poor to own a car, it means they are desperate enough to steal your stuff! I get it all the time as I walk, or ride my bicycle down to the marina where my sail boat is moored, but I guess people expect me to be driving a $100,000 car down to the marina, where my sail boat is moored. No, I ride my bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... Bookbags

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for another excellent post. Where else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? In my opinion, my seeking has ended now. Backpacks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here. Backpacks

    ReplyDelete