Saturday, September 4, 2010

Don't Touch Anything

I didn't think about fingerprints the second I realized our home had been burglarized. The sheer panic racing through my veins led me to check places within the home where we keep a few valuables. It was my husband's quick sense of reason that broke through the cloud of emotion saying, "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING."

Hopefully, the police will get good, clean fingerprints of the theives. In many cases, these criminals are repeat offenders. If good prints are obtained and the burglars are repeats, they'll be in the system. If they're not currently in the system and they get caught later on (for this crime or another), they'll be matched to the print(s) left in your home.

A tip from a cop: keep your furniture/countertops/etc. as dust-free as possible. Clean, shiny surfaces capture much better fingerprints than dusty, not-so-clean areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment